The «Tomorrow’s Lawyer» is a unique program of professional development, exchange of experience and best practices for lawyers in order to strengthen their leadership role in implementing reforms, developing the legal community and the Rule of Law in Ukraine.
The «Tomorrow’s Lawyer» is a powerful network of lawyers, which brings together leaders of the legal profession, who provide legal assistance in accordance with the highest ethical standards, being agents of change in society and leaders in the professional community.
- Professional ethics. We believe that adherence to the highest ethical standards is the basis of the professional activity of the lawyer.
- Accessibility of law and justice. We believe in the importance of citizens’ awareness of their rights, the ways of their implementation and protection. A comprehensive reform of the justice system is vital for the strengthening of the Rule of Law and the right to a fair trial.
- Leadership. We believe in the community of «tomorrow’s lawyers»and its leadership in the development of the profession, advancement of the highest ethical standards for the provision of legal assistance and advancement of reforms.
- The desire for excellence and constant development. We believe in the need for continuous training and the exchange of experience and best practices.
- Serving the community and protecting human rights. We believe that serving the community and protecting human rights is the true mission of a lawyer.
The «Tomorrow’s Lawyer» Program was developed in 2016-2017 with the support of «Quality and Accessible Legal Aid in Ukraine»(QALA) Project with an expert contribution from the Canadian Bar Association. In 2018, the Tomorrow’s Lawyer Program is being implemented by the Ukrainian Bar Association (UBA) and the Bar Association of Legal Aid Providers (BALAP), with the support of the United States Embassy and the «Quality and Accessible Legal Aid in Ukraine»(QALA) Project funded by the Government of Canada and implemented by the Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE).
The Program consists of four training modules:
Module 1: Attorney-Client Relations
- Interview with a client and clarifying the role of lawyer, communication.
- The ethics of communication with the client, the duties of the lawyer to the client.
- Providing advice to client and reporting.
- Managing emotions and stress.
- Case planning and strategies for quality legal assistance.
- The role of lawyer in promoting equal access to justice.
Module 2: Building Collegial Relations Within the Justice System
- Establishing effective communication with procedural opponents. Ethics of communication.
- The rule of law in practice. Combining efforts to increase equal access to justice.
- Effective advocate’s speech in court.
- Conflict management and communication with an aggressive client, negotiations.
Module 3: Your Colleagues in the Legal Community
- Attorney independence and justice.
- Mentoring and change.
- Ethical standards for communication with colleagues.
- Interaction with authorities and advancement of changes in the field of justice in the interests of society – how to become agents of change.
Module 4: Public Relations and Media
- Communicating the rule of law principles and promoting equal access to justice and reforms.
- Effective verbal and written communication with media.
- Managing public opinion. Professionalism and publicity. Working with mass media on matters of public interest.
- Use of social media.
TRAINING SCHEDULE FOR THE SECOND HUNDRED OF PARTICIPANTS (2018)