On May 27, 2019, a training on “Anti-corruption in land relations” will be held in Odesa. The knowledge gained at the training will help you to effectively cooperate with local authorities in the privatization of land, and escape corruption. And you will also learn to complete the privatization process through criminal proceedings.
The training is conducted by the “Tomorrow’s Lawyer” Program together with the Bar Council of Odesa region with the support of the US Embassy in Ukraine.
The trainers are the graduates of the Tomorrow’s Lawyer Program: Oleksiy Shamov and Lyudmyla Hrytsenko.
We invite to the training lawyers, judges, paralegals, prosecutors and civil servants.
Participation is free of charge. A total of 30 people will be able to take part in the training. Registration will be closed with 30 registrations in place.
WHY IS THE TRAINING IMPORTANT FOR LAWYERS, JUDGES AND LAND AUTHORITIES? Every citizen has the right to six different types of land! Information about this makes literally everyone think. If the state guarantees such a right to a citizen, it must provide a transparent and effective mechanism for its implementation. The legal mechanism exists; it is quite simple and clear. However, in practice, it is almost impossible to get a plot of at least one of the six destinations. The land manager finds many reasons for this.
For the applicant, success depends on many factors:
- correctly filed application,
- knowledge of the features of the procedure,
- a clear position in conversations and correspondence with land administrators,
- reasoned and clear legal position understandable in court.
Training is just about that. In simple language, using simple examples, we allow training participants to level up their knowledge and feel confident in such legal relationship.
This training is no less important for judges, as lawyers will share their practices and opinions at the training and, most importantly, lawyers are ready to hear the opinions of judges on this issue.
In turn, the diverse knowledge of land officials of the land privatization procedure will avoid the most common mistakes of these bodies in this matter (who often violate human rights which is later handled by the courts, which complicates the procedure) and take into account the rights and opportunities of applicants. Therefore, the mission of the training, in addition to sharing good practices, is to build a constructive dialogue between all participants in the land privatization procedure.
The following issues will be considered during the training:
- lawyer’s tactics to prevent corruption in land privatization;
- how to complete the privatization process with the help of criminal proceedings.
The purposes of the training:
- development of effective mechanisms and active position of lawyers in this category of cases;
- unification of participants in the land privatization procedure in an objective sense of mutual needs in this category of cases;
- overcoming stereotypes about state guarantees;
- determining the role of the lawyer in the proper support of land privatization;
- determining the role of the court in the land privatization procedure;
- determining the role of officials of land management bodies in the privatization procedure;
- discussion of the peculiarities of the application of Articles 118, 121 of the Civil Code of Ukraine;
- exchange of experience between colleagues;
- analysis of existing case law;
- development of a common practice.
09:30 – 10:00 – Welcoming coffee, registration
10:00 – 10:45 – Opening remarks
10:45 – 11:00 – Case No1
11:00 – 12:30 – SESSION 1. PLAN AND MAKE IT RIGHT FROM THE START (two lectures of 20 minutes each)
12:30 – 13:00 – Coffee break
13:00 – 14:30 – SESSION 2. GO THROUGH THE LABYRINTHS OF SILENT CONSENT AND DISCRETION
14:30 – 14:45 – General discussion
14:45 – 15:00 – Closing remarks